Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
zone plans
I'd like some advice on zone plans please.

we have a 2 storey building with 1 lift shaft, 1 stairwell, offices on both floors, main production area on both floors, external stores, 2 plant rooms, 1 lift motor rm, 1 water tank room.

I'm doing the zone plans and obviously the lift shaft and stairwell are separate zones on their own as are lift motor rm, water tank room, there are no zones going over more than 1 floor, none more than 2000 sq. m as it's an L2 system and no zone involves searching for more than 60 metres. Is there anything else glaringly wrong which I've missed?

SHOULD THE LIFT MOTOR ROOM BE ON THE SAME ZONE AS THE LIFT SHAFT WHICH IT IS ABOVE? OR A SEPARATE ZONE? IT IS ABOVE THE REST OF THE BUILDING ON THE ROOF ON EFFECTIVELY IT'S OWN FLOOR.

IS THERE ANY REQUIREMENT (APART FROM COMMON SENSE) TO MAKE A BOILER OR VENT PLANT ROOM A SEPARATE ZONE? OR A STOREROOM WHICH CAN ONLY BE ACCESSED FROM OUTSIDE?

I've made 20 zones up to now and there are a maximum of 48 on the kentec syncro we're using. I've made a bunch of offices and the corridor accessing them a zone for example, canteen and kitchen one zone and the open area one zone for simplicity and to make it easier to know where the fire may be.

thanks for any advice.
I dont like having many zones and cut them down as much as possible because sometimes its even harder to find which colour or zone number where is on the drawing.
But if you keep the floor on same zone then all the fire fighters need to kno is thats they are going to 1st floor for example and takes them a seconds to understand it.
Years ago when most was conventional this is how it was.
But now ones they see on the panel a kitchen or small office or large office near WC or open plan office, they know exactly what they are looking for and only takes seconds to get that information.

This is my personal opinion which is not set in stone so I am open to any other interpretations.
Just do it as you want and the regs will be re-written to suit?

LOL
Adi Bosworth
ADI Security Solutions
Fire and intruder detection
http://www.adisecuritysolutions.co.uk
Unless the floors are too big to have as a single zone, I usually stick to 1 zone per floor, 1 per stairwell, 1 per lift shaft, then 1 zone for all external rooms. As Alex says, too many zones can be confusing too. If the lift plant room is on a floor of its own then it'll have its own zone. If it was on the roof with, say another 2 plant rooms, I'd still have them all in the same zone. That's what text messages are for. 

I wouldn't put boiler houses, external switch rooms etc in their own zones unless they were of a significant size. If they're all just single rooms, I would put them all in an "External Access" zone and use the text message to signify their exact location. 

The kentecs are actually very good for this since you don't have a common zone text to complicate matters so you can just call the devices "boiler house" "switch room "etc but the zone plans won't be cluttered with dozens of different single-room zones
(03-05-2017, 12:46 PM)Adi Wrote: Just do it as you want and the regs will be re-written to suit?

LOL

You can have a rep point for that one Adi  Biggrin. Lol
Martin Wison
KGM Fire and Security Distribution Ltd.
Rochester, Kent.
01634 716882
http://www.kgmfireandsecurity.co.uk
I usually put external accessed rooms on their own zone.
All posts are of my own opinion and knowledge and do not reflect the views of the Company I work for.
(03-05-2017, 02:09 PM)Monkeh Wrote: Unless the floors are too big to have as a single zone, I usually stick to 1 zone per floor, 1 per stairwell, 1 per lift shaft, then 1 zone for all external rooms. As Alex says, too many zones can be confusing too. If the lift plant room is on a floor of its own then it'll have its own zone. If it was on the roof with, say another 2 plant rooms, I'd still have them all in the same zone. That's what text messages are for. 

I wouldn't put boiler houses, external switch rooms etc in their own zones unless they were of a significant size. If they're all just single rooms, I would put them all in an "External Access" zone and use the text message to signify their exact location. 

The kentecs are actually very good for this since you don't have a common zone text to complicate matters so you can just call the devices "boiler house" "switch room "etc but the zone plans won't be cluttered with dozens of different single-room zones

I'm keeping the zones to a minimum but I want to comply to the 60 metres search distance criteria. Some of the areas have, say, a 30 metre corridor with about 15 offices off of them which I reckon would take it close to 60 metres search distance if you have to check in each office. Some have vision panels, some don't.
Read that one wrong! Nevermknd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  void in a different zone to the main area alonso 2 807 14-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Graeme
  zone/switch monitor khorasani 6 3,338 26-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Dan
  Sprinkler Flow Switch Zone? Rob-Leeds 8 9,019 23-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Last Post: H2OFS