Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS 5839 part 1 or 6

Hi Guys
A 3 Storey house converted to 3 flats.
One entrance to the common staircase then each flat has its own locked front door.
Question, is the common staircase designed to BS5839-1 or BS5839-6.
BS5839-6 states it excludes communal areas but our client disagrees.
Any thoughts please.
Any views expressed are that of my own not my company!Exclamation
its possible to to do either
you are correct that part 6 excludes common areas of blocks of flats
what does the risk assessment say?
but are you putting detection within the flats from the communal system?
and all comes down how you certificate it
so you could do part 1 L4 24hr battery back up smokes in the communal area all good and easy just call the property the communal areas only
but anything other than L4 (and i'm discounting L5 here) then it's a little bit more complicated
so L3 and up part 1 ok 24hr battery backup and 75db at the bedhead but putting a bedroom sounder is a pain so variation on sound pressure in the bedroom as the domestic flat system should be enough to wake people
part 6 Grade A detection as L3 72hr battery back up and 85db at the bedroom door with the door open might be possible with a base sounder
if you want to talk this through just give me a ring
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA
Hi Will
Not seen the risk assessment yet.
My plan was to install a mixed system Part 1 L3 on the staircase with a heat/sounder in each flat entrance
and part 6 LD2 in each flat.
Our client wants us to install LD2 in each flat, no problems there.
My problem is they want to use Grade D Pt6 detection on the staircase with detection behind each flat door, all radio linked,as if it was a Pt1 L3 which I am not happy to sign off.
Hope that makes sense
(21-08-2017, 04:13 PM)atherton1930 Wrote: Hi Will
Not seen the risk assessment yet.
My plan was to install a mixed system Part 1 L3 on the staircase with a heat/sounder in each flat entrance
and part 6 LD2 in each flat.
Our client wants us to install LD2 in each flat, no problems there.
My problem is they want to use Grade D Pt6 detection on the staircase with detection behind each flat door, all radio linked,as if it was a Pt1 L3 which I am not happy to sign off.
Hope that makes sense

what you propose is what i would do with the variation on sound pressure
you can tell your client that grade D on the communal staircase does not comply to the standards prt 6 does not cover the communal areas (but you can get away with grade A in the communal areas) and he should have had a risk assessment.
you will end up with lots of false alarms and the occupants of the flats will soon get P****d off and start smashing stuff up as the 1st time someone burns the fry up all the flats will sound with no easy way of silencing it
plus its a good idea at the moment to take fire safety seriously as there might have been a bit in the news about flats and fire. so good idea to do things right
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

Will
Thanks for your time at least we are on the same wave length, cheers
Ran out of time of tonight but i'll give the bull sh!t system the brigade wants, and thats no sounders.

They are getting on my tits round here
Adi Bosworth
ADI Security Solutions
Fire and intruder detection
http://www.adisecuritysolutions.co.uk
(22-08-2017, 12:39 AM)Adi Wrote: Ran out of time of tonight but i'll give the bull sh!t system the brigade wants, and thats no sounders.

They are getting on my tits round here

So stay put then
Nothing wrong with stay put but everything else has to be ok as well I would push for signalling if it doesn't have it already
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  part 6 Grade C control panels ESP 5 3,576 11-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Last Post: ESP