Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions
4, then 5

Having just done my 18th edition, I think there are so many parts of 5939 now, that this exam needs to be open book.
(05-07-2019, 11:00 PM)Will Lloyd Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 10:14 PM)luggsey Wrote: I got 3/3 in both, haven't done any courses for a looong time but soon to do them all again.....

Well if you don’t mind me saying this and I mean no offence so I apologise if you don’t take this in the spirit that is is meant

Your score shows that just because you have been doing the job along time and have a lot of knowledge
Does not mean that you walk through these qualifications you need to put effort in and work at it
Which is why we have done these questions and there are prelearning videos for each course
So if you are going to enroll on these qualifications give yourself the best chance by doing all the prelearning videos

No offence taken at all, I already know I need to brush up! 
Most of our team have already done the new courses, only one out of six on the second course passed mind you....... 
I haven't done much more then service and small install commissioning maximum two panels network for ages now but my job is drifting towards fire safety as much as fire detection. 
I wonder if that's unique in a way as I'm maintaining our own housing stock not a customers... 
Is the video course online or supplied prior to the courses?
Bugger, I did isolate the dialer...didn't I?
Oops
The prelearning videos are all on the FIA website
You will find them on the individual course page
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA
(05-07-2019, 11:13 PM)Tilly Wrote: 4, then 5

Having just done my 18th edition, I think there are so many parts of 5939 now, that this exam needs to be open book.

To make this open book the candidate would need copies of
BS 5839-1 £330
BS 5839-6 £264
BS 7273-4 £264
BS 6266 £264

plus all the legislation for all the devolved areas of the UK plus the European legislation

And i’ve Not added in the BS 54 series so that’s pars 1, 13 & 14 and the soon to be published BS 7273-6

So add in a couple of grand in Standards a few hundred pages of legislation which you wouldn’t be able to look through in the exam time and it’s open book

The 18th edition is one book £90 and the course more or less teaches you how to find stuff in it

And before people comment it doesn’t I have done the course and I passed it the full 3 days

Which sort of brings us back to another thread on competence and how it is measured.

The ECS gold card which everyone says people should have and is seen as the solution to competency
Is flawed as I have not done any electrical work for 20 years and I can have a gold registered electrician card
But can I get a gold fire alarm card the job I’ve done more or less for 20 years?

No

But the ECS card is seen as the solution to competency ??????
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

So it can be done that way.Will Lloyd

BS 5839-1 £330
BS 5839-6 £264
BS 7273-4 £264
BS 6266 £264

plus all the legislation for all the devolved areas of the UK plus the European legislation

And i’ve Not added in the BS 54 series so that’s pars 1, 13 & 14 and the soon to be published BS 7273-6

So add in a couple of grand in Standards a few hundred pages of legislation which you wouldn’t be able to look through in the exam time and it’s open book

The 18th edition is one book £90 and the course more or less teaches you how to find stuff in it

And before people comment it doesn’t I have done the course and I passed it the full 3 days

Which sort of brings us back to another thread on competence and how it is measured.

The ECS gold card which everyone says people should have and is seen as the solution to competency
Is flawed as I have not done any electrical work for 20 years and I can have a gold registered electrician card
But can I get a gold fire alarm card the job I’ve done more or less for 20 years?

No

To be fair will when i went on the nsi audit course they gave out copies of 5839 and collected them at the end of the course.
So it can be done that way.Will Lloyd

BS 5839-1 £330
BS 5839-6 £264
BS 7273-4 £264
BS 6266 £264

No

To be fair will when i went on the nsi audit course they gave out copies of 5839 and collected them at the end of the course.

Just checked my ECS card think I need to update it
Peter Robinson

07889 038650

Yes but got any qualifications on the back?
And I’m not sure they will let you renew as it has expired
If you have gold card don’t let it expire as you might not get another
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

(07-07-2019, 05:39 PM)alonso Wrote: To be fair will when i went on the nsi audit course they gave out copies of 5839 and collected them at the end of the course.

that's a bit like going on the course to program panels and them letting use the software on the course but then not letting use after that.
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

Well, the price of a copy of 5839 is scandalous anyway. The fact you are supposed to know all of these pieces of legislation means it should be open book. Theres now far too much legislation to be able to know all of it parrot style. And dont get me started on how the FIA teaches its courses. Its all right slagging off the module based learning we used to do, but that was perfectly adequate when the FIA was peddling it as the acceptable standard.

My FIA extinguisher course was taught with a highlighter pen... "mark this, it will be in the exam.... mark that, it will be in the exam" was a total waste of money, just to get a certificate.
Peter, your card is not longer than 12 months out of date. You can update it with a new safety assessment course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Questions and Codes in Public ESP 31 20,090 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Last Post: douglas docherty
Exclamation Technical Questions in Public 1019641 0 5,350 22-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Last Post: 1019641