Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curtains in Rooms
Chaps, I would appreciate your thoughts on the following,

We maintain the system in a bio-medical campus where they have installed black-out curtains in a number of rooms to prevent light interfering with experiments.

There is detection installed in the room but only on one side of the curtain. Rooms are approx. 5m in length & 2 metre width with the curtain splitting the room in half. These curtains are from floor to ceiling and are designed to prevent light from entering so I suspect smoke will not penetrate the curtain until the actual curtain catches fire.

I have suggested detection is required either side of the curtain but would like to be able to provide evidence of this requirement from the standards.

Cheers
It's an obstruction. Even ignoring how much smaller light particles are than smoke particles and if light can't get through, smoke definitely won't - they're obstructing the flow of smoke. 

It would be pretty easy to prove this by using a smoke stick or, if they are afraid of contamination, boiling a kettle on one side of the curtain and checking for smoke or steam on the other side. 

g)  Heat and smoke detectors should not be mounted within 500 mm of any walls, partitions or obstructions to flow of smoke and hot gases, such as structural beams and ductwork, where the obstructions are greater than 250  mm in depth. (This recommendation does not apply to detectors within rooms opening into escape routes in a Category L3 system). NOTE 7  If an enclosed area has no horizontal dimension greater than one metre, it is impossible to comply with this recommendation; this need not be regarded as a variation if the detector is sited as close as possible to the centre of the space. 

h)  Where structural beams, ductwork, light fittings or other isolated ceiling attachments, not greater than 250 mm in depth, create obstacles to the flow of smoke, detectors should not be mounted closer to the obstruction than twice the depth of the obstruction (see Figure 8). NOTE 8  In some circumstances, compliance with this recommendation might result in non-compliance with  22.3g). In such circumstances, non-compliance with  22.3g) [or  22.3h)] need not be regarded as a variation. 

i)  Where an area contains partitions or storage racks that reach within 300 mm of the ceiling, the partitions or storage racks should be treated as walls that extend to the ceiling (see Figure 9). NOTE 9  Where a rack contains high-value or high-risk materials or where the height of the rack exceeds 8 m, the use of in-rack detection might be considered. For more information, see the FIA Code of Practice for Design, Installation, Commissioning and Maintenance of Aspirating Smoke Detector (ASD) Systems [6]. 

j) Ceiling obstructions, such as structural beams, deeper than 10% of the overall ceiling height should be treated as walls [see Figure 10a)].
I agree with Monkeh its a movable partition
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  L3 and external rooms alonso 6 1,668 31-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Will Lloyd