Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekly bell test, two systems
Two adjoining office blocks within one building complex, each has its own Pt1 fire alarm system. Two of the upper floors have been knocked though and the systems have been linked together, so effectively both sound on activation of any device on either system.

Regarding the weekly bell test, which has been undertaken to date on each system, whilst the panels are interlinked are we required to test only one callpoint (as they now both operate) or continue to regard them as separate systems (which they are?) and test each individually in their own right?

Presumably as they (should) have been certificated individually on installation, they are clearly separate systems, and unless a modification certificate is issued which states they are now one, then should the weekly testing continue under the assumption that they are two fire alarm systems?

Interested in how BS 5839 regards this, as wish to test in accordance with the recommendations (naturally).
I still treat them as seperate systems, so seperate service reports and a weekly test on each system.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...   24

They are definitely separate systems and test one call point per block
Peter Robinson

07889 038650

Hard to say without seeing the site.

Is it one building? Wouldn’t it be one system with two panels? No need to do it for both however I would recommend an MCP On both panels bi weekly so one week panel one and week two panel two if that makes sense.

If it is two different buildings with a link corridor built to connect them together then I’d go for both panels each week.
*Hits call point*... "we are on test aren't we?"... Whoops 
I've always said one test per panel, but then technically the 8 loop advanced is two panels, but I never tell clients to make sure they're testing an mcp off each panel.

Where's Will when you need him?
(20-11-2019, 09:23 PM)Harrysu Wrote: Hard to say without seeing the site.

Is it one building? Wouldn’t it be one system with two panels? No need to do it for both however I would recommend an MCP On both panels bi weekly so one week panel one and week two panel two if that makes sense.

If it is two different buildings with a link corridor built to connect them together then I’d go for both panels each week.

Imagine a four storey building, cut it in half vertically so you half a left block and a right block. Each has its own entrance, they are completely separate. Each has its own fire alarm. Now the third and fourth floors have been knocked through so these now straddle the complete width of left block and right block. The two fire alarm systems have been linked together (might be one triggering a zone of the other and vice versa, not sure). 
I'd still see them as two separate systems so an MCP on each every week?
Imagine those two buildings, and two addressable systems, that have been linked together with a network.... Still two systems, or now one ??

I dont know, but an interesting question.
(21-11-2019, 12:05 AM)Tilly Wrote: Imagine those two buildings, and  two addressable systems, that have been linked together with a network....  Still two systems, or now one ??

I dont know, but an interesting question.

I'd consider 2 separate panels networked as 2 separate systems so needing a call point per control panel per week tested.
I'd say off the original question that they are a class change type of linkage, so a call point on each panel to confirm each signal each way weekly, as usual, just my thought for the day.
http://awacsuk.com

advanced warning and communicated systems
installation...integration...innovation....

any comments or views posted are mine and I'm keeping them.
(20-11-2019, 10:27 PM)Monkeh Wrote: Where's Will when you need him?

Working (yes I do do some work now and then)

but anyway

whats the point of the weekly test?
To make sure that system is still works and is capable of giving a signal and that everyone knows what the fire alarm sounds like.

so if you have more than one panel linked either networked or linked and the complete building hear the sound fine one mcp does it I would do what Harrysu said

(20-11-2019, 09:23 PM)Harrysu Wrote: I would recommend an MCP On both panels bi weekly so one week panel one and week two panel two if that makes sense.

so what if you have a network system which has alarm zones and the mcp only makes sound in a local area? well than you should do more than one mcp
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA
(21-11-2019, 12:19 PM)Will Lloyd Wrote:
(20-11-2019, 10:27 PM)Monkeh Wrote: Where's Will when you need him?

Working (yes I do do some work now and then)

but anyway

whats the point of the weekly test?
To make sure that system is still works and is capable of giving a signal and that  everyone knows what the fire alarm sounds like.

so if you have more than one panel linked either networked or linked and the complete building hear the sound fine one mcp does it I would do what Harrysu said

(20-11-2019, 09:23 PM)Harrysu Wrote: I would recommend an MCP On both panels bi weekly so one week panel one and week two panel two if that makes sense.

so what if you have a network system which has alarm zones and the mcp only makes sound in a local area? well than you should do more than one mcp
Exactly my point test one mcp per panel. Had a hospital with 100 nodes and told them the weekly test was 1 mcp per panel but the Trust Fire Officer would only allow the Estates Dept a srlection of zones per week
Peter Robinson

07889 038650

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  risk assessment AFTER fire alarm systems split alonso 3 897 22-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Marian Prala
  Insulation test voltage Michaelwgroves 12 3,238 25-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Tilly
  Mcp Test Keys Trickle Charge 12 4,034 06-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Monkeh
  Maintenance for gas extinguishing systems rtfm 6 2,615 10-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Last Post: sparky999
  Multiple systems & System classes aeg 6 6,149 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Last Post: aeg
  Weekly fire alarm testing sam-jam1 15 12,752 27-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Last Post: jmeservices
  Extending old systems ?? micklou 8 5,577 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Last Post: zenengineering
  Unoccupied building weekly fire alarm test? sam-jam1 3 6,631 13-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Wilko
  Rules and standards for Selector valve suppression systems(inert gas)? harvin6 2 3,676 11-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Last Post: harvin6