Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L3 open office
Hi guys

Just after bit of advice in regards to detection for a potential site

Site is looking at the potential of bringing current system up to L3 standard.

Most of it is fairly straightforward apart from a few conflicting points of view with management on site

They currently have a large open planned office area that is covered by detection on ceiling about 6.5 meters high and  in voids above as required.

Now they are proposing to construct a few smaller office/meeting rooms within this space and around the perimeter area.

From drawings these offices will be mixture of glass panels and wood/cladding and visibility doesn't look like it would be impaired from within or outside as glass will be used on upper section around whole perimeters of each small office they don't form any corridors and discharge directly into the open office which does has fire exit doors on the perimeter.

Also wont finish at current ceiling height stopping a few meters below with internal suspended ceiling.

I'm of the view that they need to provide detection within these rooms to meet L3 as rooms off the escape route need to be covered.

Thanks in advance!
a large open plan office to L3 with one exit/entrance leading to a corridor/stairs needs 1 detector near the door regardless of the size of the room.

if you then put some small offices inside the large open plan office you create an "inner room" (the small office) and an "access room" (the large open plan office)

if the inner room does not have visibility of the access room then the access room will require full coverage.

if the inner room does have full visibility of the access room you don't need any extra detection.

the inner rooms do not need detection
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA
Will

From a very hazy recollection of a Published Document on 5839-1 (cant remember what year) Im sure there was reference to the access room and that a vision panel in the Inner room can be a substitute for AFD in the access room - Im guessing for an L4 but not L3.

I forgot all about the vision panel until now - is it referenced in current COP?
All posts are of my own opinion and knowledge and do not reflect the views of the Company I work for.
(27-01-2020, 02:49 PM)Graeme Wrote: Will

From a very hazy recollection of a Published Document on 5839-1 (cant remember what year) Im sure there was reference to the access room and that a vision panel in the Inner room can be a substitute for AFD in the access room - Im guessing for an L4 but not L3.

I forgot all about the vision panel until now - is it referenced in current COP?

19.1 In buildings with inner rooms from which escape is possible only by passing through another (“access”) room, it is common practice for a smoke detector to be installed in the access room unless there is adequate vision between the inner room and the access room. The purpose of this smoke detector is to give early warning to occupants of the inner room before fire in the access room prevents their means of escape.

h) In buildings with a staff alarm, smoke detectors in access rooms that form the only means of escape from inner rooms should give an immediate local warning of fire to occupants of the inner rooms, even though the alarm signal might be delayed elsewhere in the building, unless there is adequate vision between the inner room and the access room.

its all in the wrong place but its there
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA
Thanks Will - In Staged Alarms section - probably why I missed it..
All posts are of my own opinion and knowledge and do not reflect the views of the Company I work for.
Cheers will that clears that up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what does SINGLE OPEN means? goodie 6 4,995 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Wiz
  OPEN, CLOSED AND DIGITAL PROTOCOLS—WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? admin 12 16,936 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Allen Higginson