Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protec Algo-Tec 6300 - Earth Missing?
I serviced a Protec 6300 system and somehow managed to create an Earth Missing fault.

Protec technical tell me I've probably shorted the +ve charger cable to the chassis and blown a track on the terminal board.
It's a distinct possibility what with the unsleeved spade connectors (bit of an accident waiting to happen!).
It would seem I've lost the 0V AUX circuit so it stands a chance the track has been obliterated.

Protec's advice is to buy a replacement terminal board ensuring I purchased the correct Issue to match the existing, in this case an Issue C terminal board.
Apparently, the PSU connections are particular to the issue of the terminal board?

Protec Sales now inform me the 6300 system is obsolete so I can't get a terminal board.
Protec Sales are looking to offer me an upgrade (fancy!).

Before I leap into spending hundreds of £'s, is it worth trying to repair/solder the damaged track?
Has anyone tried it?
Is it possible?
Not sure if the damaged track is on the surface of the PCB or whether the PCB is multi-layered, in which case I'm probably screwed.

I would appreciate your comments.
(18-03-2020, 10:02 PM)ATriple Wrote: I serviced a Protec 6300 system and somehow managed to create an Earth Missing fault.

Protec technical tell me I've probably shorted the +ve charger cable to the chassis and blown a track on the terminal board.
It's a distinct possibility what with the unsleeved spade connectors (bit of an accident waiting to happen!).
It would seem I've lost the 0V AUX circuit so it stands a chance the track has been obliterated.

Protec's advice is to buy a replacement terminal board ensuring I purchased the correct Issue to match the existing, in this case an Issue C terminal board.
Apparently, the PSU connections are particular to the issue of the terminal board?

Protec Sales now inform me the 6300 system is obsolete so I can't get a terminal board.
Protec Sales are looking to offer me an upgrade (fancy!).

Before I leap into spending hundreds of £'s, is it worth trying to repair/solder the damaged track?
Has anyone tried it?
Is it possible?
Not sure if the damaged track is on the surface of the PCB or whether the PCB is multi-layered, in which case I'm probably screwed.

I would appreciate your comments.

Wouldn’t advise it whilst you maybe successful if anything was to ever go wrong with the system you could be in big trouble IIRC there is an “engineer” currently staying at Her Majesties pleasure for repairing a panel, and all was fine until an incident occurred.

You won’t be saving yourself any money so make your customer cough up
Mate!
[/quote]
Wouldn’t advise it whilst you maybe successful if anything was to ever go wrong with the system you could be in big trouble IIRC there is an “engineer” currently staying at Her Majesties pleasure for repairing a panel, and all was fine until an incident occurred.

You won’t be saving yourself any money so make your customer cough up
Mate!
[/quote]

Got anymore details about this one? Sounds interesting. It’s not the welsh ex firefighter is it?

Realistically upgrading would be the better option definitely but if you correctly document your repair and explain to the client it is a temporary repair to keep the system operating correctly until the panel can be upgraded I would think that would be fine.

It’s all about documentation really, I wouldn’t have thought repairing things at component level would be an issue as long as you can demonstrate competency in what you are doing. Also as long as you don’t make any modifications to it, I.e like for like replacement of components then you should also be fine. The reason why I say like for like only is because the system is testing in accordance with BS and EN regs with those specific components.
*Hits call point*... "we are on test aren't we?"... Whoops 
Resoldering part of a circuit board isn't really a like for like replacement though. There's potential for damage that you just don't know about. I'm with Mr C here, I think the days of electronic repairs to fire alarms are over. The manufacturers spend a fortune to get their equipment certified and any modification or repair that isn't of a part that's designed to be replaced like a fuse or a firmware chip would put you on very dodgy ground if anything went wrong because they'll just wash their hands of it and say it's no longer the equipment they sold you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Protec engineers Harrysu 10 3,077 28-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Harrysu
  Protec help rossk 1 1,076 07-08-2018, 06:44 PM
  Protec 6400 Harrysu 0 805 03-06-2018, 12:47 PM
  6300 Code Security And Fire Experts 7 4,637 14-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Last Post: hothead
  I Think I Know What Caused the Earth Fault! martinh1234 10 6,209 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Monkeh
  Algo-Tec™ 6400 firefighter 5 3,371 28-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Last Post: hothead
  Protec 6400 0v link missing ? alex88 12 11,116 20-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: alex88
  protec algo tec 6400 alex88 20 16,680 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Last Post: ESP
  Protec 6000+ Smoke Detectors Smokemonkey69 3 4,542 19-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: ljarrald
  Protec 6400 The Cumbrian 7 6,654 13-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Dean_Clough