Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
isolation length and authority
anyone aware of anything official (i.e. in a bs) of how long an isolation can be accepted for? e.g. if something is isolated for 6 months is that acceptable? obviously we inform the site manager of the isolation.

i presume if, for example, a device is isolated due to lack of access and we are waiting for access from the site manager then we can wait forever and a day until they provide access/permit access etc...

bs5839 states things should be fixed asap. i think this is more of a legal point as to who authorises isolations/ permits and arranges access etc. but it would be useful to have something official written down to quote
The Fire Safety Order

Fire-fighting and fire detection
13.—(1) Where necessary (whether due to the features of the premises, the activity carried on there, any hazard present or any other relevant circumstances) in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons, the responsible person must ensure that—
(a) the premises are, to the extent that it is appropriate, equipped with appropriate firefighting equipment and with fire detectors and alarms;
and
(b) any non-automatic fire-fighting equipment so provided is easily accessible, simple to use
and indicated by signs.

Maintenance
17.—(1) Where necessary in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons the responsible person must ensure that the premises and any facilities, equipment and devices provided in respect of the premises under this Order or, subject to paragraph (6), under any other enactment, including any enactment repealed or revoked by this Order, are subject to a suitable system of maintenance and are maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.

Can you isolate a detector, zone or area? Yes
But as article 13 still applies as does the safety of relevant persons how are you keeping them safe?
If its only for a short time general extra awareness might be appropriate. If it for a long time what temporary arrangements are in place to comply with article 13.

Isolate your fire alarm and an inspecting officer will probably give you a enforcement notice to turn it back on
www.fia.uk.com

Technical Manager FIA

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of FIA
(10-06-2020, 01:35 PM)Will Lloyd Wrote: The Fire Safety Order

Fire-fighting and fire detection
13.—(1) Where necessary (whether due to the features of the premises, the activity carried on there, any hazard present or any other relevant circumstances) in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons, the responsible person must ensure that—
(a) the premises are, to the extent that it is appropriate, equipped with appropriate firefighting equipment and with fire detectors and alarms;
and
(b) any non-automatic fire-fighting equipment so provided is easily accessible, simple to use
and indicated by signs.

Maintenance
17.—(1) Where necessary in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons the responsible person must ensure that the premises and any facilities, equipment and devices provided in respect of the premises under this Order or, subject to paragraph (6), under any other enactment, including any enactment repealed or revoked by this Order, are subject to a suitable system of maintenance and are maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.

Can you isolate a detector, zone or area? Yes
But as article 13 still applies as does the safety of relevant persons how are you keeping them safe?
If its only for a short time general extra awareness might be appropriate. If it for a long time what temporary arrangements are in place to comply with article 13.

Isolate your fire alarm and an inspecting officer will probably give you a enforcement notice to turn it back on

will thanks again good work! i was looking in bs. ta
I know a site in London where the sounders are permanently disabled
Peter Robinson

07889 038650

Same here Pete, always seems to be Morleys in some kind of shopping centre.