Thread Rating:
  • 36 Votes - 2.86 Average
Brewery
19-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Rolleyes Brewery
Hi All

I have to quote for a fire alarm install in a brewery and would i need to install intrinsically safe devices in the brew house and fermentation areas hope you can help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2010, 07:58 AM
RE: Brewery
jonpb Wrote:Hi All

I have to quote for a fire alarm install in a brewery and would i need to install intrinsically safe devices in the brew house and fermentation areas hope you can help

Are the light fittings and switched in this area I.S.?
What does the risk assessment that should be undertaken prior to any design and installation works say?

http://awacsuk.com

advanced warning and communicated systems
installation...integration...innovation....

any comments or views posted are mine and I'm keeping them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2010, 08:16 AM
douglas docherty Wrote:

What does the risk assessment that should be undertaken prior to any design and installation works say?

If you have no experience of Hazardous Areas which the question indicates no i would advise to leave well alone, You can use both IS and Ex equipment as it will be either Zone 1 or 2 and probably only gases and vapours present , you have to know what equipment to use and how to install in hazardous areas it is a minefield with serious cost and safety implications.
19-05-2010, 10:37 AM
kevin hynes Wrote:
douglas docherty Wrote:

If you have no experience of Hazardous Areas which the question indicates no i would advise to leave well alone, You can use both IS and Ex equipment as it will be either Zone 1 or 2 and probably only gases and vapours present , you have to know what equipment to use and how to install in hazardous areas it is a minefield with serious cost and safety implications.

thanks for all your advice all i have from the consultant is a plan with the information the system should be installed to BS5839 but no devices on the plan and no risk assessment carried out. have installed I/S devices before but first time of working in this kind of building
19-05-2010, 08:30 PM
The brewery should have identified whether the area is hazardous or not and IF flammable vapours or gases are present then they are required to carry out a risk assessment under the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR).

One outcome of this assessment would be the designation of hazardous zones. If you are planning to work in such an area the brewery is legally obliged to furnish you with this information. So I would go back and ask them for full details of any hazards present before starting any work on site.

alan@peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
19-05-2010, 10:06 PM
jonpb Wrote:
kevin hynes Wrote:
douglas docherty Wrote:

thanks for all your advice all i have from the consultant is a plan with the information the system should be installed to BS5839 but no devices on the plan and no risk assessment carried out. have installed I/S devices before but first time of working in this kind of building

See,

It all becomes clear as mud when a c*&^%$£tant gets involved. He can't tell you what is required, but can tell you the general standard to which it complies to is, and then you make your bed.

http://awacsuk.com

advanced warning and communicated systems
installation...integration...innovation....

any comments or views posted are mine and I'm keeping them.