Thread Rating:
  • 72 Votes - 2.82 Average
Positioning of Smoke and Heat Detectors
02-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Positioning of Smoke and Heat Detectors
All smoke detectors have similar spacing requirements, heat detectors also all have similar spacing requirements although these are different to smoke detectors. According to BS5839 for general areas the spacing between any point in a protected area and the detector nearest to that point should not exceed 7.5m for a smoke detector and 5.3m for a heat detector.

[Image: 75a.gif]

The above are the maximum areas that can be covered by an individual detector. In order to ensure that coverage is provided into the corners of rooms and to ensure that there is no gap at the junction point of multiple detectors, spacings have to be reduced.

[Image: 75b.gif]

To ensure complete coverage for square layouts, spacings between detectors and walls should be reduced to 5m for a smoke detector and 3.5m for a heat detector.

[Image: 75c.gif]

To ensure complete coverage, spacings between detectors should be reduced to 10.0m between smoke detectors and 7.0m between heat detectors

[Image: 75d.gif]

For corridors less than 2m wide only the centre line need be considered therefore it is not necessary to reduce detector spacings in order to provide complete coverage. Therefore for smoke detectors spacing becomes 7.5m from a wall and 15.0m between detectors. For heat detectors the spacing becomes 5.3m to a wall and 10.6m between detectors.

[Image: 75e.gif]

The above data is based on flat level ceilings; for pitched ceilings or ceilings with a non-flat surface, spacings will alter. For pitched ceilings use the data below, for other ceiling types refer to BS5839 for comprehensive guidance. Where detectors must be mounted onto a pitched ceiling, a detector should be mounted near to the apex but spacing can be increased by 1% for each 1° of slope up to 25%. ‘Near’ is defined as within 600mm for smoke detectors and within 150mm for heat detectors.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2009, 01:02 PM
RE: Positioning of Smoke and Heat Detectors
are those drawings from the Cooper Lighting And Safety Fire Systems catalouge, 'cause i have that book (good read).

Clones are people, two
Find all posts by this user
22-10-2009, 10:03 PM
ali pachino Wrote:are those drawings from the Cooper Lighting And Safety Fire Systems catalouge, 'cause i have that book (good read).

they certainly are;)
22-10-2009, 10:11 PM
sit the IFA advanced course and see how to space detectors outwith the above.

gave me a sore head
22-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Graeme Wrote:sit the IFA advanced course and see how to space detectors outwith the above.

gave me a sore head

Did for me to Graeme, especially degree's of slope etc, I was starting to lose the will to live:(
23-10-2009, 09:05 PM
mike Wrote:
Graeme Wrote:sit the IFA advanced course and see how to space detectors outwith the above.

gave me a sore head

Did for me to Graeme, especially degree's of slope etc, I was starting to lose the will to live:(

You'll have to do it again on the Advanced Commissioning course, but only a couple of pitch angles, and a few cellular ceiling questions. How to win a quote by using less detectors than someone else, and using the kit to the limit. On a good note, design engineers generally stick to the basic principles so that they don't get caught short, but handy to know if required to create a fire design solution for a client.

http://awacsuk.com

advanced warning and communicated systems
installation...integration...innovation....

any comments or views posted are mine and I'm keeping them.
23-10-2009, 10:01 PM
if anyone knows its you doug.. resident guru was it 100% in fia units lol

if i had the cash id sit myself to try improve chances of getting a job... dont really want to come off tools after building up the experience over the years, and the keys!!

Fire up the quattro
24-10-2009, 09:41 AM
douglasdocherty Wrote:
mike Wrote:

gave me a sore head

You'll have to do it again on the Advanced Commissioning course, but only a couple of pitch angles, and a few cellular ceiling questions. How to win a quote by using less detectors than someone else, and using the kit to the limit. On a good note, design engineers generally stick to the basic principles so that they don't get caught short, but handy to know if required to create a fire design solution for a client.

done all 6 Doug.

The Advanced commissioning was pretty straight forward except for the spacing in a cell type ceiling which i found a wee bit tricky in the alloted time.

I have to be honest and say that i do not use the spacings to try and save on detectors for quotes,i just stick to the BS spacings.

I dont use the tollerance factor much unless i have to
24-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Did them all years ago, but have just completed a round robin of them all again to keep them up to date with the new amendments etc, and have been spending some time going round the manufacturers courses again to keep my CPD updated and keep myself abreast of the latest industry and product releases.

Sorry Andy,
Dropped a mark on the advanced design ( alarms ), and on the adv commission.

http://awacsuk.com

advanced warning and communicated systems
installation...integration...innovation....

any comments or views posted are mine and I'm keeping them.
24-10-2009, 04:25 PM
douglasdocherty Wrote:Did them all years ago, but have just completed a round robin of them all again

glutten for punishment? lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  wireless automatic detectors connected to existing fire alarm system pjc 5 789 10-09-2014 05:27 PM
Last Post: alex88
  Apollo Detectors Inert Agent 9 820 05-08-2014 10:31 AM
Last Post: Tilly
  electro detectors jinx28 10 829 27-05-2014 08:59 PM
Last Post: Tilly
  Apollo discovery smoke heads Ghostrider 10 996 23-05-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: saslimited
  Securiton Heat Detectors Buggy 6 676 20-02-2014 08:25 PM
Last Post: andjelko
  Vesda Smoke Tresholds clarkson 6 946 20-02-2014 09:29 AM
Last Post: Jones
  Smoke Vent Systems and Compatible Conventional Devices Corefireltd 9 1,241 05-12-2013 09:20 PM
Last Post: Adi
  Menvier DF4000 Heat Detector Problems aeg 4 1,412 19-11-2013 12:12 PM
Last Post: aeg
  apollo xp95 detectors doublefrick 3 1,093 09-11-2013 10:59 PM
Last Post: hothead
  beam detectors novernmunkee 11 1,747 17-09-2013 09:03 PM
Last Post: novernmunkee